Personal injury (PI) attorneys serve an important role in obtaining compensation for accident victims who have suffered injuries due to the negligence of another party. Since these injuries can often lead to a loss of income, debilitating pain and other life-altering changes, financial compensation is essential to ensure these victims and their families are not left with financial hardships due to no fault of their own.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A PI Lawyer’s Role Defined
A personal injury attorney is a legal professional who provides representation to individuals who have suffered physical or psychological injuries due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another person, company, organization or entity. Personal injury lawyers help clients in a variety of ways, including providing legal advice, negotiating settlements and representing their clients in court at trial, if necessary.
The following are some of the key tasks and responsibilities of a personal injury lawyer:
• Investigations: A personal injury lawyer will investigate the circumstances surrounding an accident or injury that their client has suffered. This may involve collecting witness statements, reviewing medical records and consulting with experts in fields such as accident reconstruction or medicine.
• Communications: Personal injury lawyers serve as a liaison for their clients and frequently deal with insurance companies. They may negotiate with insurance adjusters to ensure that their clients receive fair compensation for their injuries and losses.
• Filing Suit: A PI lawyer’s role may also involve filing a lawsuit against the person or entity responsible for the injuries or negotiating a settlement with the other party’s insurance company.
• Representation: If a settlement cannot be reached in an accident case, personal injury lawyers may represent their clients in court at trial. They will argue on behalf of their clients to obtain the compensation they deserve for their injuries. These cases may be complex, and injury attorneys are required to be extremely experienced and prepared when taking on defendants in a jury trial.
• Advising: Personal injury lawyers provide legal advice to their clients as their case progresses. They will explain the legal process, answer questions and provide overall guidance. They will also discuss potential scenarios and outcomes of a case and advise on the best course of actions to take.
• Advocating: Personal injury lawyers are advocates and serve as the “voice” for their clients. They work to ensure their clients’ rights are protected and that they receive fair compensation for their injuries and loss.
Overall, a personal injury lawyer plays a crucial role in helping individuals who have been injured. They provide legal representation, support and guidance throughout the legal process to ensure that clients receive fair and just compensation. Because accident victims are in the midst of a traumatic period in their lives, injury attorneys must also demonstrate the utmost empathy and compassion for their clients. The “bedside manner” of an attorney plays an important role in an attorney-client relationship.
Personal injuries are a reality of life. They can occur at any time and when they do, they can have devastating effects on individuals, families and livelihoods.
If you or a loved one are ever involved in an accident, be sure to contact a personal injury attorney at Hurst Limontes, LLC. We have decades of combined experience fighting for our clients in any number of personal injury claims. We work on a contingency basis, meaning there is no cost to you unless we reach a settlement or jury verdict award on your behalf.
Call 317-636-0808 or email us for a FREE and confidential consultation.