If you were in a car accident, you know that determining who is at fault, and who is responsible for your damages, are very important. Your car may need repairs or replacement, and you may have sustained injuries.

How can you get rightful compensation for your damages? Navigating the legal and insurance systems alone can frustrate and confuse anyone. After seeking medical care, make your first priority to speak to a lawyer and learn what claims may apply to your car accident.

Property Claims

Property claims may include your car as well as other property damaged or destroyed by the accident, such as your cell phone, laptop, work equipment, tools, car seats, and any other valuable items within or installed in the car.

Property damages may also include the cost of a rental car or alternative transportation costs during repairs of your own car, or until you receive a settlement or judgment that enables you to replace your car.

Working with a lawyer will ensure that you submit a complete property claim that accurately reflects your actual property damages.

Personal Injury Claims

If you were in a car accident, you may have sustained more than property damage. If you were also hurt, Indiana law may entitle you to damages for your personal injuries.

Personal injury claims may include:

  • Emergency medical expenses. These costs are incurred right after the accident, including ambulance, emergency room, radiology, surgeries or other treatments, hospital stay, and medication. In many cases, the insurance company may offer a quick settlement in the amount of those immediate expenses—or less. However, such offers fail to consider later medical bills or the longer-term financial consequences of your injuries.
  • Compensation for ongoing care. If your accident resulted in long-term injuries or a permanent disability, your damages may include the costs of ongoing medical care, treatments, rehabilitation, in-home care, various therapies, and/or assistive technology and devices.
  • Compensation for lost wages or lost earning potential. If your injuries caused you to miss work, your damages may include lost wages, and loss of future wages and earning capacity.
  • Compensation for other damages. Other damages may include non-physical and non-monetary consequences of your accident, including pain and suffering; mental health consequences of your physical injuries or disability, such as depression; and the loss of consortium if you are married or have a partner.

Get the Legal Help You Need

If you were injured in a car accident, get help. Speak with an experienced and knowledgeable car accident lawyer. Indiana law may entitle you to damages, and a lawyer will fight on your behalf for your rightful compensation.

The lawyers at the Law Offices of William W. Hurst help personal injury victims protect their rights. If you were in a car accident, call the Law Offices of William W. Hurst at (317) 636-0808, or use our online form to contact us.